New Covenant Center
New Covenant Center (NCCenter), formerly known as New Covenant House of Hospitality and operating under the programmatic umbrella of Catholic Charities of Fairfield County, Inc., opened in 1978 as a soup kitchen to help the neediest in greater Stamford meet the most basic need for food in a dignified and respectful environment. This founding principle still drives our efforts.
Over the last 38 years, we have evolved to be one of the largest soup kitchens in Connecticut and the only one in the area open 365 days per year, providing three meals daily. We also operate one of the largest food pantries in the state, and the largest in Stamford. With our recent move to a larger facility in Stamford, we are executing on a strategic plan to include program components that address a broader range of basic needs, with the aim of helping those we serve overcome both food and economic insecurity. In this way, NCCenter will have even greater impact.
- Soup Kitchen - 300 healthy, hot, nutritious meals are served daily, 365 days a year. We also provide a healthy dinner to 30 children in a local women’s shelter every weekday through an ongoing partnership.
- Food Pantry - Nearly 400 families receive 10 days/ 3 meals a day worth of groceries each month. Our new facility has capacity to increase the number of families served to 900 monthly.
- Job Skills Programs - New programs focused on the food/hospitality industry are offered for our clients in partnership with other not-for-profit agencies. We intend to expand these offerings to include other industries. The new computer center provides a venue to search for work, write resumes, and develop employable skills. In addition, volunteers will assist in areas such as goal setting, research, interviewing and networking. The additional space also allows us to build on existing collaborative efforts with local nonprofits to identify employment opportunities and help with job placement.
- Life Coaching - Knowledgeable staff provides assistance to address basic individual and family issues, identify and overcome barriers/obstacles, and provide links to supportive services, such as medical and mental health referrals.
- Human Services - Our new facility allows us to offer a shower, and barber services, as well as to provide access to personal hygiene items.
- Medical Services - A dedicated medical room is available to provide basic medical care, inoculations, and screenings.