New Covenant Center
Formerly known as the New Covenant House of Hospitality, the New Covenant Center opened in 1978 as a soup kitchen to help the neediest in the greater Stamford area meet their basic need for three meals a day in a dignified and respectful environment.
Over nearly 40 years, the New Covenant Center has become one of the largest soup kitchens in the state, and is the only one in the greater Stamford area open 365 days a year.
With the New Covenant Center's move to a larger facility in Stamford, it is executing a strategic plan to include programs that address a broader range of basic needs, with the goal of helping those it serves overcome both food insecurity and economic insecurity. These programs include:
- Soup kitchen: The New Covenant Center provides 300 hot, nutritious meals 365 days a year. It also provides a healthy meal to 30 children at Inspirica House, a nearby women's shelter, every weekday.
- Food pantry: Nearly 400 families receive groceries for three meals a day for ten days each month. The New Covenant Center's new facility now has the capacity to more than double the families served by the pantry monthly.
- Job skills program: Programs focused on the food and hospitality industries are offered for the center's clients in partnership with other non-profit agencies. The new computer center provides a venue to search for work, write resumes, and develop employable skills. In addition, volunteers can assist in areas such as goal-setting, research, interviewing, and networking. The additional space also allows staff to build on existing collaborative efforts with local non-profits to identify job opportunities and help with job placement.
- Life coaching: Knowledgeable staff provide assistance to address basic individual and family issues, identify and overcome barriers and obstacles, and provide references to other medical and mental health resources.
- Hygiene services: The center's new facility provides access to a shower and barber services, as well as personal hygiene items.
- Medical services: A dedicated medical room is available to provide basic medical care, inoculations, and screenings.
174 Richmond Hill Avenue, Stamford, CT
Monday - Saturday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.